The Isles of Shoals consist of nine Islands located about 10 miles off the coast from Portsmouth and about 7 1/2 miles from Rye Harbor. This is the open water Atlantic, so planning will be critical for a safe paddle. The islands are located along the Maine and New Hampshire border; the Islands of Duck, Malego, Cedar, Smuttynose and Appledore belong to Maine and the islands of Lunging, Seavy's, White and Star are in New Hampshire.
The Islands were settled in the early 1600's with the town of Gosport, on Star Island, being incorporated in 1724. In 1778, during the Revolutionary War, Gosport was evacuated to Rye, NH. The Isles remained virtually uninhabited until the middle of the 19th century. In 1859 the White Island Lighthouse was complete and is the only off shore lighthouse in New Hampshire. Today, the automated light lighthouse is operated solely by solar panels and batteries. Over the years the condition of the White Island Light has deteriorated and is now in dire need of repairs. Rumors of buried pirates treasure, including treasure from Black Beard, have been circulating for decades. It is believed that Black Beard found Lunging Island (once known as Londoner Island) an ideal location to bury his silver. For more information about the Isles click on the links below.
White Island Lighthouse